Matches: 382 Displayed: 20
- Technology > Schools on the Net > Schools on the Net
- Social Studies > Violence and Crime > Safe Schools
- Counselor > Violence and Crime > Safe Schools
- Principal > School Improvement > Charter Schools
- Teacher > Safe Schools > Safe Schools
- Main > Involving Family > School > Boarding Schools
- Main > Involving Family > School > Charter Schools
- Counselor > Violence and Crime > Safe Schools > 2006
- Schools on the Net Search (American School Directory)
ASD, the American School Directory, searches for schools by city, state, and country and provides "interactive gateways to each of America's 106,000 K-12 schools." ASD also allows you to find the "ten closest schools to any location" and helps you to find former class-mates. Requires registration. 9-05
- Algebra Standards (North Carolina Public Schools)
Provides high school algebra standards. 03-14
- South African Schools on the Net (Siyafunda Sunday Times)
- Distance Education (Australian Correspondence Schools)
Provides correspondence courses.
- Safe Schools
- Current Events and News (BBC Schools Online)
Provides articles to help students get involved with current events.
- 5th Grade Math Curriculum Standards (North Carolina Public Schools)
Provides standards. 03-14
- American Flag Lesson Plan (Montgomery Public Schools - Furr, Campos, and White)
Provides activities related to the flag of the USA. 9-01
- Schools on the Net (Yahoo)
Provides schools on the Net by grade level, state, and then city. 11-01
- Schools - Energy Efficiency Tips for Schools (U.S. Department of Energy - Rebuild America)
"Energy consumption can vary widely from one school to the next but in general, the greatest potential for energy savings comes from improvement of:
Heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC) systems
Windows, doors, and insulation." 3-02
- Charter Schools
- Voucher Systems for Schools
- Schools Moving Toward a K-8 Model (ABC News)
"Philadelphia eighth-graders at the K-8 schools scored significantly higher on state tests than their middle school counterparts, studies by the Philadelphia Education Fund show. And nationally, crime takes off in middle schools, where it's 30 percent higher than in elementary schools, according to the National Center for Education Statistics."
" 'Middle-grades children in K-8 schools do far better than they do in middle schools,' Vallas said, 'both academically and behaviorally.' " 8-05
- -06-05-06 Supreme Court to Decide Race Issue in Schools (MSNBC News)
"The Supreme Court said Monday it will decide the extent to which public schools can use race in deciding school assignments, setting the stage for a landmark affirmative action ruling." 06-06
- Experts: Schools Need to Rethink Security (MSNBC News)
"Schools should focus more on listening to kids to deter school attacks, experts say, instead of relying only on physical security." 10-06
- Mountain Climbing Treks and Schools (AlpineAscents.com)
"Alpine Ascents is committed to developing safe, self-reliant and environmentally-conscious mountaineers and offering courses and expeditions of unsurpassed quality throughout the world. Our business practices stress ethical and culturally aware travel." 12-06
- -05-22-07 Newsweek's Rating of the Top High Schools (MSNBC News)
"Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors. All of the schools on the list have an index of at least 1.000; they are in the top 5 percent of public schools measured this way." 05-07
- -09-09-08 Rhee Shakes Up DC Schools (CNN News)
"Rhee closed 23 schools in her first year as the head of the District of Columbia's public schools, fired 36 principals and cut 15 percent -- about 121 jobs -- from the central office staff. And she's making no apologies."
"One of the most controversial programs Rhee has introduced is a joint venture between D.C. schools and Harvard that pays middle school students cash -- up to $100 a month -- for good behavior and attendance."
"An annual report card by Education Week, a newspaper that follows the nation's education system, earlier this year ranked the District's school system last, giving it a D+ overall and an F for student achievement in kindergarten through 12th grade. Those grades were based on data prior to Rhee's arrival." 09-08
- Study: Air Quality at Tested Schools Unsafe (USA Today)
" 'These results suggest that we need to be concerned about what the children are breathing while at school,' says Patrick Breysse, a scientist with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health who helped oversee USA TODAY's efforts." 12-08
- Air Quality for Schools, a National Problem (USA Today)
"Using the government's most up-to-date model for tracking toxic chemicals, USA TODAY spent eight months examining the impact of industrial pollution on the air outside schools across the nation. The model is a computer simulation that predicts the path of toxic chemicals released by thousands of companies."
"USA TODAY used it to identify schools in toxic hot spots — a task the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency had never undertaken."
"The result: a ranking of 127,800 public, private and parochial schools based on the concentrations and health hazards of chemicals likely to be in the air outside. The model's most recent version used emissions reports filed by 20,000 industrial sites in 2005, the year Hitchens closed."
"The potential problems that emerged were widespread, insidious and largely unaddressed:" 12-08