- Arts and Crafts
- Corporal Punishment
- Early Childhood Education
- Games for the Mind (FunBrain)
Provides games, ranging in difficulty from preschool through elementary school level.
- Matching - Memory Game (FunBrain)
The object of the game is to find all of the matching pairs of cards.
- Math - Change Maker (FunBrain)
"All you do is figure out how many of each bill or coin that you expect to get back when you pay for something."
- Math Baseball (FunBrain)
Each problem is a "pitch." If you are correct, you get a hit with a single, double, triple or home run, depending on the difficulty of the problem. The result is provided in large letters above the problem. 09-09
- Pre-School Math Games (FunBrain.com)
Provides six games to help children learn basic math. 09-09
- Word Game - Spell Check Game (FunBrain)
Provides word games.
- Alphabet Lessons (LessonPlanz.com)
Provides lessons to learn the alphabet. 09-09
- Fast Food and Nutrition (Think Quest)
Provides information and quizzes related to the nutritional value of fast foods. 09-09
- Nutrition Lessons (National Dairy Council)
Provides lessons and activities to help younger children enjoy learning about nutrition. 09-09
- Pre-school Lessons by Topic (Teachers.net)
Provides resources by topic. 09-09
- Preschool Lessons (AtoZ Teacher Stuff)
Provides creative activities in science, math, and language development for young children. 09-09
- Preschool Lessons (Seevers)
Provides monthly curriculum outlines (called curriculum options) and activities (called Activity Pages). Also contains teacher preparation suggestions, topics (Potpourri of Ideas), and more. 09-09
- Thematic Lessons - Kindergarten Level (Anderson, Hopkins, Short, Steele)
Provides many lessons to improve self understanding. Standards based. 09-09
- Alphabet - Surfing the Net With Kids (Feldman)
Provides a careful selection of sites for young kids. 09-09
- Child Care (National Network for Child Care)
Provides articles on child care. 09-09
- Children's Picture Books Search - Preschool to Grade 3 (Miami University - Ubbes and Millard)
Children's Picture Book Database at Miami University provides short descriptions of over 4000 picture books for children through a search by keyword, subject, author or title. Does not provide the books or pictures of the books. 09-09
- Dr. Seuss Activities (Random House Online)
Seussville provides games and activities. 09-09
- Preschool Math (Math Forum)
Provides 28 math problems and lessons. 09-09
- Alphabet - Picture Dictionary (Enchanted Learning Software)
Provides a picture dictionary in several languages. 09-09
- Awesome Talking Library (Awesome Library)
Converts online text into spoken words through the Awesome Talkster program. Awesome Talkster has one of the clearest synthesized voices on the Web.
Converting online text into speech has many uses. For example, Talkster can speak online stories or books to children while an adult supervises. The voice can be put in "Boy" or "Girl" mode to add a character with a bubble over his or her head. The bubble will show each word as it is spoken and the voice can be put on "slow" for your child to follow. Talkster can thereby assist your child in learning how to pronounce words while reading.
Talkster is also useful for adults. It can speak news articles to you in one open browser while you are searching for information in another browser window.
For persons with visual impairments or poor coordination, Talkster can be navigated with keystrokes.
The Web can be navigated using a version of Awesome Library in a different language, such as Spanish, while using a voice for that language that is available through the Awesome Talkster. Links to different language versions of the Awesome Library are available at the bottom of most Awesome Library pages. Links to free voices for different languages can be found on the Awesome Talking Library's help page. 09-09
- Beanie Babies and Teddy Bears (Wauer-Ferus)
Provides games, clipart and more. 09-09
- Games for Preschool (Boowa and Kwala)
Provides mazes, games involving colors or shapes, puzzles, guessing games, and more. Requires Flash software (available free). 09-09
- Baby Einsteins Not So Smart (Time.com)
"Led by Frederick Zimmerman and Dr. Dimitri Christakis, both at the University of Washington, the research team found that with every hour per day spent watching baby DVDs and videos, infants learned six to eight fewer new vocabulary words than babies who never watched the videos. These products had the strongest detrimental effect on babies 8 to 16 months old, the age at which language skills are starting to form. 'The more videos they watched, the fewer words they knew,' says Christakis. 'These babies scored about 10% lower on language skills than infants who had not watched these videos.' " 09-09
- Attachment Parenting (ParentingScience.com)
"Attachment parenting (AP) is an approach to child-rearing intended to forge strong, healthy bonds (also known as 'secure attachment') between parents and children." 09-09
- Book Reviews by Reading Level (Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County - BookHive)
Provides reviews of books for children, including younger children. 09-09
- Book Reviews for Preschool to Kindergarten (CarolHurst.com)
Reviews children's books. 09-09
- Can a Mother's Affection Reduce Anxiety in Adulthood? (CNN News)
"Babies whose mothers are attentive and caring tend to grow into happy, well-adjusted children. But the psychological benefits of having a doting mother may extend well beyond childhood, a new study suggests." 08-10
- Child Care (About.com - McClure)
Provides child care suggestions. 09-09
- Getting Your Toddler to Cooperate (Geoparent.com - Pantley)
"It's delightful to see how a potentially negative situation can be turned into a fun experience by changing a child's focus to fantasy." 09-09
- How to Teach Empathy (BabyCenter.com)
"When your child performs an act of kindness, tell her what she did right, and be as specific as possible: 'You were very generous to share your teddy bear with your baby brother! That made him happy. See how he's smiling?' "
"If your child does admit to doing something wrong, respond positively to the fact that she told the truth ('Thank you for telling me! I know that was hard.'), and then deal with the situation itself." 09-09
- How to Teach Honesty (BabyCenter.com)
"Even with a 2-year-old, it's important not to create a situation that actually encourages her to lie." 09-09
- Kids Need More Sleep (USNew.com)
"Now that school has started, many parents find themselves struggling to shift their kids back to a working routine. As they shave off time for TV and the Internet to make way for schoolwork, parents may want to add extra for that other big contributor to success at school: sleep. Recent research on kids has connected the importance of sleep not only to cognition, but to behavior and mood as well."
"What if they come up short? A sleep-deprived child's reaction is often different from the low energy and sleepiness experienced by adults. "Reducing the amount of hours a child sleeps manifests itself in the child becoming wired and hyperexcitable—exhibiting behavior similar to children with attention deficit disorder," says David Gozal, director of the pediatric sleep program at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. Kids' emotions may become erratic, says Gozal, and they may be less apt to listen or pay attention." 09-09
- Pediatricians: New Guidelines for Detection and Treatment of Autism (US News)
"In an effort to make it easier for pediatricians to spot and begin early treatment for children with autism spectrum disorders, the American Academy of Pediatrics has released two new reports with recommendations for identifying and managing these conditions." 09-09
- Potty Training Your Child in One Day (ABC News)
"In her book, "Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day," Crane, known as the Potty Pro, provides tools to help parents and their children reach one of the most important milestones in their lives." 09-09
- Preschool (Geoparent.com)
Provides suggestions for parents who have children of preschool or kindergarten age. 09-09
- Preschool (Kid Source)
Provides articles related to health, education, safety, development and more. 09-09
- Preschool Learning (BornLearning.org)
Provides everyday learning for young children. 09-09
- Preschool Learning and Education (Kid Source)
Provides articles to enhance learning for preschoolers. 09-09
- Preschool Social Skills (ParentingScience.com)
"Preschool social skills depend on three abilities:"
"• Emotional self-control"
"• Verbal communication"
"Many parents and educators assume that children need to spend lots of time with peers to develop strong preschool social skills."
"They don't." 09-09
- Preventing Your Own Child from Bullying (Time.com)
" 'You can enhance empathy by the way you treat children,' says Martin Hoffman, an emeritus professor of psychology at New York University and a pioneer of empathy research, 'or you can kill it by providing a harsh punitive environment.' "
"Over the long term, the routine use of corporal punishment, such as spanking, not only fails to change behavior for the better, but has also been shown to increase aggression in children."
- Science Factsheets for the Family (NASA - Spaceplace)
Provides 10 factsheets related to exploration of space. 09-09
- Secrets of Supermoms (MSNBC News)
"Should you return to work or stay at home with your new baby? We explore both sides of the stay-at-home vs. work-outside-of-home debate." 09-09
- Selective Mutism (ABC News)
"Imagine a world where anyone and anyplace outside the comforts of home elicit fear and anxiety so paralyzing that you shut down and cannot speak."
"What causes this disorder is not exactly known. What is known is that it has a genetic factor and usually appears when a child is first introduced into the social situation of preschool or school. It is, however, very different than everyday shyness."
- Social Networking for Toddlers (FastcoDesign.com)
"Crying, yowling, whimpering: Evolution has already equipped infants and toddlers with myriad ways of communicating "status updates" to their parents. But let's face it -- they're pretty ambiguous. So two Finnish designers decided to expand kids' repertoire into the digital age by creating the IOBR: a classic block-sorting toy that also functions a bit like Twitter. So even if they can't yet read or type with their cubby little fingers, toddlers armed with these things can trumpet their current doings to parents and friends." 12-10
- Stress and Children (ParentingScience.com)
"We can’t eliminate all stress. But understanding the biology of stress—and adopting a cross-cultural perspective on stressors—can be very helpful. The pages described below highlight recent scientific research on stress during pregnancy, childhood, and the child-rearing years." 09-09
- Toy Safety: What We Can Do (US News)
"At least we have an army of government regulators serving as a safety net, right? Uh, nope. The New York Times and others have pointed out that the Consumer Product Safety Commission, responsible for enforcing safety standards, has been gutted in recent years, even as imports have been surging. The federal government, it turns out, spends more money monitoring the safety of animal feed than testing the safety of products used by children."
" 'Made in China' isn't the problem."
"That's because the image of shoddy Chinese-owned factories hoodwinking naive American corporations is largely a myth. Most big American companies importing products from China own the factories where those products are made or partially own them through a joint venture. So the companies themselves are on-scene at the source of the problem—or should be—and they represent the first line of responsibility for dangerous components." 09-09
- Video Playdates (CNN News)
"While it's somewhat common for young children to conduct online video chats with adult family members, the idea of kids playing with each other via remote conferencing on laptops and TVs appears to be new, and hasn't gained mainstream acceptance yet."
- Activities for Children (FunSchool)
Provides fun activities to share with kids, preschool through second grade. 09-09
- Activities for Learning and Fun (Squigly's Playhouse)
Provides coloring, word puzzles, crafts, games, and more. 09-09
- Arts and Crafts Projects (Aunt Annie)
"Aunt Annie's Crafts takes the craft how-to book one step further by putting it on the computer and taking advantage of the flexibility that the computer offers." 09-09
- Coloring Pages for Children (TwistyNoodle.com)
Provides coloring pages for children. 10-12
- Developmental Games for Children Ages 1 - 5 (American Psychological Association - KidsPsych)
Provides five developmental games to teach basic concepts and to promote interaction with parents. Requires Shockwave software (available for free from the site). Loads slowly. 09-09
- Games for Learning the Alphabet and Colors (playkidsgames.com)
Provides simple online games to help young children learn the alphabet and colors. 09-09
- Games for Young Children (Kaboose.com)
Provides dozens of online games and activities for young children.
- Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood (PBS and Family Communications)
Provides sing-a-longs, play activities and more. 09-09
- Pinwheel Instuctions (LeslieTryon)
Provides directions for making a pinwheel fan. 09-09
- Preschool Activities (A to Z Kids Stuff)
Provides projects, such as working with colors, numbers, the alphabet, and shapes. Also includes farm, dinosaurs, calendar, ocean, shoes, my body, reading, and zoo as topics.
- Preschool Activities (The Chalkboard - Patricia)
Provides lessons and activities suitable for preschool and kindergarten level children. 09-09
- Preschool Resources (AtoZKidsStuff.com)
Provides carefully reviewed sites for preschool level, by topic. 1-02
- Preschool and Kindergarten Activities for Teachers (The Chalkboard - Patricia)
Provides lessons and activities suitable for preschool and kindergarten level children. 09-09
- Puppet Show Rubric (Rubistar)
Provides printable forms and selectable content for creating rubrics to evaluate preparation and presentation. 09-09
- Ready, Set, Read (US Department of Education)
Provides activities for families to develop readiness skills for different ages of young children. 09-09
- Science Activities for the Family (NASA - Spaceplace)
Provides 12 activities related to exploration of space. 09-09
- Science Experiments for the Family (NASA - Spaceplace)
Provides 11 activities related to science or the exploration of space. 09-09
- Science Information for the Family (NASA - Jet Propulsion Lab)
Provides activities to help understand science. 09-09
- Science Projects for the Family (NASA - Jet Propulsion Lab)
Provides 8 projects to build related to exploration of space. 09-09
- Science Projects for the Family (NASA - Spaceplace)
Provides 10 projects to build related to exploration of space. 09-09
- Story Builders (Squigly's Playhouse)
Provides an opportunity to fill in parts of a short story. 09-09
- Baby Development Resources (BabyClassroom.com)
Provides books, puppets, and more. Awesome Library does not endorse these products but provides them as examples. 01-07
- Books Written for Preschool and Kindergarten Teachers (Amazon.com)
Provides lessons, curricula, teaching strategies, and more. 09-09
- Early Childhood Accreditation Programs (Early Childhood Program Accreditation)
"For more than 80 years, the National Association for the Education of Young Children has worked to raise the quality of programs for all children from birth through age eight. A major part of NAEYC's efforts to improve early childhood education is through different systems of accreditation for programs that are committed to meeting national standards of quality...." 09-09
- Alphabet Worksheets (AbcTeach)
Provides hundreds of printable worksheets to help children (by grade level) master the alphabet, shapes, and colors. 09-09
- Cartoon Faces and Bodies (LooneyTunes)
Provides worksheets, connect the dots, and more for Looney Tunes characters, such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Sylvester the cat, Tweety Bird, Yosemite Sam, Road Runner, Elmer Fudd, Taz, Pepe, Wiley Coyote, Foghorn, and more. 09-09
- Color Worksheets (AbcTeach)
Provides worksheets to teach the basic colors. 09-09
- Coloring Books (The Crayon House)
Provides printable coloring books. 09-09
- Worksheets for K - 2 (abcTeach.com)
Provides worksheets by topic. 09-09