- Book Recommendations under General Reference
- Lessons for Librarians (Chamberlain)
Provides 30 lessons for librarians with little or no experience with the Internet. Useful for teachers and school administrators also.
- -Academic Libraries - USA (Berkeley)
Provides libraries by state. 2-01
- -State Libraries - USA (Berkeley)
Provides libraries by name. 2-01
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Biographical Resources Described (New York Public Library)
Provides a description of the books that provide information on biographies.
- Biographies (Library Spot)
Provides links to biographies in nine categories, including Nobel Prize lauraetes, inventors, distinguished women, celebrities, inventors and notable citizens.
- Books in Print (Bowker)
Provides a listing of books in print. Requires registration and offers a trial period of use. 8-00.
- Citations Guides (AwesomeLibrary.org)
Provides resources for MLA, APA, and Chicago styles of citations and includes styles for electronic references.
- Dewey Decimal System (Monroe Library)
Provides instructions on using the classification system. 12-04.
- Digital Librarian (Anderson)
Provides one of the most comprehensive resources for librarians, as well as the general public. 10-09
- Digital Libraries (National Digital Library Federation)
Provides lists of government, college and university, and commercial digital libraries. 10-00
- Directory for the Internet (California State Library)
Provides a comprehensive directory of sites on the Internet by subject. 1-02
- Electronic Texts Archives (International Federation of Library Associations - IFLA)
Provides texts for librarians. 10-09
- Librarian Resources (ItCompany.com)
Provides links to libraries and other resources for librarians. 10-04
- Librarian Tools (Library Spot)
Provides materials in acquisitions, cataloging and libraries and the Internet. In addition, the site includes library journals, library associations, mailing lists, news groups, reference materials, lists of resources and association.
- Librarian's Index to the Internet (Leita)
Provides a searchable directory of the Internet. 8-01
- Libraries and Encyclopedias Search (Internet Oracle)
Provides over two dozen search engines from libraries and encyclopedias. 04-07
- Library Science Resources (Education Index)
Provides 22 excellent and annotated library resources.
- Online Libraries (Online University Lowdown)
Provides links to the 100 top online libraries, according to the authors. 04-09
- Reference Information (StartSpot Mediaworks - Library Spot)
Provides well organized sources of information. 2-00
- Search Engine for Kids (Kids Click)
Provides a search engine for kids. Designed by librarians. 4-01
- Seattle Public Library
- Library Media and PR
Provides numerous clip art freeware images, most of which are of a good size and quality for including on a Web page describing library activities.
- Newberry Research Library
Research library has a large number of rare and historical documents, such as cartographic, Native American Indian, and music. 2-00
- -New Stresses on Libraries (New York Times)
"These days, however, community need reaches far beyond reference help — and in many libraries, it is turning a normally tranquil place into an emotional and stressful hotbed." 04-09
- American Booksellers Association 11-01
- American Library Association
- Book Reviews (American Library Association - Booklist)
Provides reviews of best selling books. 8-00.
- Cataloging and Indexing of Electronic Resources
Provides links. 10-09
- Digital Libarary Resources (International Federation of Library Associations)
IFLA provides a directory. 09-09
- Error Rates of Filtering Programs (Hazelton)
Provides results of a study of the effectiveness of some of the most commonly used filtering programs. Programs tested included AOL Parental Controls, Cyber Patrol, SurfControl (SurfWatch), SafeServer, and N2H2 (Bess). 10-05
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
"The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) is the leading international body representing the interests of library and information services and their users. It is the global voice of the library and information profession." 10-09
- Libraries Reinventing Themselves (Time.com)
"Many branches of these public institutions are dying from lack of funding—and reinventing themselves in surprising new ways." 06-12
- National Library of Education
- Response to Peter Jacso's Review (Awesome Library)
Gale Group published comments by Peter Jacso that Jacso billed as a review of the Awesome Library. Staff of the Awesome Library responded due to important factual errors and flaws in the article. 10-04
- Storage and Use of Scientific Information in the Future (Nature)
Provides opinions regarding the direction, methods, and issues in storage and use of scientific information for the forseeable future. 9-01
- Survey on Digitizing Library Collections (ResearchLandmarks.com)
"The nearly 200 page report looks closely at how academic, public and special libraries and museums are digitizing special and other collections. The study is based on detailed data on costs, equipment use, staffing, cataloging, marketing, licensing revenue and other facets of digitization projects from nearly 100 libraries and museums in the United States, the UK, continental Europe, Canada, and Australia. The study covers and presents data separately for digitizers of photographs, film and video, music and audio, text and re-digitization of existing digital mediums. Data is also broken out by budget size, region of the world, type of institution and other factors. Data presented separately for academic libraries, public and government libraries, special libraries and museums." 05-11
- Time's 100 Greatest Novels Since 1923 (Time.com)
"TIME critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo pick the 100 best English-Language novels from 1923 to the present." 07-11
- Time's Ten Greatest Books (Time.com)
"Let's not mince words: literary lists are basically an obscenity. Literature is the realm of the ineffable and the unquantifiable; lists are the realm of menus and laundry and rotisserie baseball. There's something unseemly and promiscuous about all those letters and numbers jumbled together. Take it from me, a critic who has committed this particular sin many times over."
"But what if—just for argument's sake—you got insanely rigorous about it. You went to all the big-name authors in the world—Franzen, Mailer, Wallace, Wolfe, Chabon, Lethem, King, 125 of them— and got each one to cough up a top-10 list of the greatest books of all time." 07-11
- School Library Journal
Provides news, articles, review, and more for school librarians. 12-00
- Search Engines for Scholars - Blackwell Synergy (Blackwell-Synergy.com)
Provides scholarly journals by subject. Blackwell now include "427,920 articles from 751 leading journals." 10-04
- Search Engines for Scholars - CrossRef (CrossRef.org)
"This Pilot is initially limited to the content of 29 of the more than 650 CrossRef publishers and societies who collaborate to provide scholars with cross-publisher reference linking."
"Through a special, reciprocal arrangement between Google and CrossRef, this Pilot launches a typical Google search but filters the result set to the scholarly research content from participating publishers, with the intent of reducing the noise produced by general web searches."
"Google has indexed the full text of scholarly journal articles on the publishers' websites through a CrossRef gateway. Users may submit searches from CrossRef Search Pilot boxes on participating publishers' sites. Results are returned from Google using the Google search and ranking algorithms, and using the article's DOI whenever possible to link from the search results to the published article."
"The purpose of the Pilot, which will run during 2004, is to determine the value to the scholarly community of a free, federated, full-text, interdisciplinary, interpublisher search focussed on the peer-reviewed scholarly literature." 10-04
- Search Engines for Scholars - Institute of Physics (IoP.org)
Provides text from over four dozen scholarly journals by journal title or search engine.10-04
- Search Engines for Scholars - Nature Publishing Group (NPG.Nature.com)
Provides licenses to nine publications.10-04
- Search Engines for Scholars - Wiley Interscience (Wiley Interscience)
Provides text from scholarly journals by subject area or search engine. 05-06