- Ask the Diabetes Team
- Children with Diabetes Children's Corner
- Children with Diabetes
- Diabetes - Children
- Food for Children with Diabetes
- -001 Weight Loss Surgery May Help End Diabetes (MSNBC News)
"Two studies find that weight loss surgery can eliminate the symptoms of type 2 diabetes in a large proportion of volunteers. That might not seem surprising, since obesity is the major risk factor for the disease. But in these studies, published in the New England Journal of Medicine and presented Monday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology, many of the patients got better within weeks, days, sometimes even hours after the surgery -- long before they lost any weight." 03-12
- Diabetes (Healthopedia.com)
Provides detailed information, listed by condition. 8-04
- Diabetes Can Be Prevented With Diet and Moderate Exercise (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
Suggests how to keep healthy. 05-06
- Diabetes Costs from Inactivity (Diabetes Net)
Provides results from a study that inactivity causes at least 37 billion dollars in medical costs from diabetes per year. (Yes, that was billion.)
- Diabetes Recipes (Children With Diabetes)
Provides recipes that are tasty for children, but low in sugar. 5-00.
- Dialysis Patient's Guide (KidneyDoctor.com)
Provides information about dialysis, kidney disorders, and diabetes. 1-02
- Food Tips You Might Not Know (For Children with Diabetes)
- New Approach to Managing Diabetes (U.S. News)
"Some people with type 2 diabetes might want to rethink how they manage their disease, based on a trio of new studies showing that tightly controlling blood glucose levels doesn't reduce cardiovascular disease in people at high risk, perhaps because they have high blood pressure or are overweight. Reaching blood pressure and cholesterol goals rather than blood glucose targets may be more important in preventing heart attack and stroke in these people, say experts. In those who are newly diagnosed with diabetes and are not already in the high-risk category, intensively managing blood sugar may be effective at reducing heart risk." 01-09
- Pre-Diabetes Control (CBS News)
Discusses how pre-diabetes can be controlled.
- Seven Steps to Take If You Have Diabetes (U.S. News)
"Diabetes sufferers may be able to give up their cake and eat it, too. According to a new study, people who lost weight in the 18 months after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes experienced sustained benefits even if they regained the weight later. They were up to twice as likely to reach their targets for blood pressure and blood sugar as those who didn't lose weight, although by the end of the four-year study, most of them had regained the weight they had lost." 08-08
- White Bread Linked to Diabetes (CBS News)
"Eating white bread is associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, according to a new Australian study."
"After following the diets and health records of more than 36,000 men and women in Australia for four years, researchers say they found white bread and starchy foods were linked to diabetes."
"White bread was the food most strongly related to diabetes incidence," they write in the November issue of the journal Diabetes Care. " 11-04