- Software for Internet Text-to-Speech and More
- Alphabet Lessons (LessonPlanz.com)
Provides lessons to learn the alphabet. 1-05
- English Lessons in Vocabulary, Grammar, and Reading (ESLGo.com)
Provides 30 lessons for ESL students.
- Reading and Writing Lesson Plans (Teachers.Net)
Provides almost 300 individual lessons. Specifies a general grade level for each, such as elementary. The quality of lessons varies widely and some only announce the availability of lessons on a topic. 5-00
- Reading, Writing, and Thinking Lessons (National Council of Teachers of English) 2-04
- Best Books for Children by Age Level (TeachersFirst.com)
Provides the National Education Association's pick of the 100 best books for children. 2-04
- Reading Skills - Action Steps for Families (U.S. Department of Education)
Provides over a dozen suggestions for helping children become better at reading. 8-02
- Reading Skills - Building Reading Skills for Young Children (U.S. Department of Education)
Provides over a dozen suggestions for helping children become better at reading, starting at a very young age. 8-02
- Reading Skills - What Families Can Do (U.S. Department of Education)
Provides sources of information. 8-02
- Teaching Visualization Skills to Improve Comprehension (Education-World.com)
"Visualizing text is a proven way to improve reading comprehension. It is a technique that can be taught using this simple, step-by-step strategy from literacy consultant Cathy Puett Miller." 8-04
- -Dictionary for Students (Merriam-Webster)
Provides the definitions and pronunciation of words entered into the search blank.
- Awesome Talking Library (Awesome Library)
Converts online text into spoken words through the Awesome Talkster program. Awesome Talkster has one of the clearest synthesized voices on the Web.
Converting online text into speech has many uses. For example, Talkster can speak online stories or books to children while an adult supervises. The voice can be put in "Boy" or "Girl" mode to add a character with a bubble over his or her head. The bubble will show each word as it is spoken and the voice can be put on "slow" for your child to follow. Talkster can thereby assist your child in learning how to pronounce words while reading.
Talkster is also useful for adults. It can speak news articles to you in one open browser while you are searching for information in another browser window.
For persons with visual impairments or poor coordination, Talkster can be navigated with keystrokes.
The Web can be navigated using a version of Awesome Library in a different language, such as Spanish, while using a voice for that language that is available through the Awesome Talkster. Links to different language versions of the Awesome Library are available at the bottom of most Awesome Library pages. Links to free voices for different languages can be found on the Awesome Talking Library's help page. 9-02
- Speed Reading Software (ReadingSoft.com)
Provides software, including a free demonstration program, to help improve reading speed and comprehension. Awesome Library does not endorse this software, but provides it as an example.
- -Reading Skills - What Causes Improvements (NAEP)
NAEP provides the Nation's Report Card on Reading. 6-05
- Accelerated Reading Program (Advantage Learning Systems)
Provides forms for ordering free information about their learning information systems, such as research studies related to the effectiveness of the program. The program is designed to help the reader enjoy reading more and also improve reading achievement. 9-00
- Phonics Help With Reading (Washington Times)
"A study has confirmed the premise of the Bush administration's 'Reading First' initiative that systematic phonics instruction is essential in teaching young children of all backgrounds to read successfully." 08-10
- Reading Skills (University of Texas)
Provides suggestions to improve reading and writing skills. 3-01
- Alphabetizing and Spelling Games (ToonUniversity.com)
Provides assistance with spelling for grades 1 - 3. Uses Flash software. 6-02
- Reading Projects (ILoveThatTeachingIdea.com)
Provides over a dozen creative lessons and projects for K-6 grade. 2-02
- Reading and Writing Interactives (National Council of Teachers of English) 2-04
- Spelling and Parts of Speech Games (ToonUniversity.com)
Provides assistance with spelling, parts of speech, and possessive adjectives for grades 4 - 6. Uses Flash software. 6-02
- Speed Reading Materials (RocketReader.com)
"RocketReader significantly increases reading speed by breaking what is termed the "sub-vocalization barrier". This barrier limits most readers to around 200 words per minute as the reader reads each word or each syllable with a single eye movement."
Awesome Library does not endorse this product but provides it as an example. 3-05
- Alphabet Worksheets (AbcTeach)
Provides hundreds of printable worksheets to help children (by grade level) master the alphabet, shapes, and colors. 8-01
- Reading Comprehension Worksheets (AbcTeach)
Provides dozens of printable worksheets, by grade level, to help children improve their comprehension of material that has been read to them or they have read. 8-01
- Reading Skills Worksheets (AbcTeach)
Provides dozens of printable worksheets organized by theme. Especially designed to provide worksheets for types of book reports. 8-01