Matches: 3 Displayed: 2
- Social Studies > Current Events Archives > Politics > World 2005
- Science > Earth Sciences > Earthquakes and Plate Tectonics > Earthquakes 2005
- Local Information > Middle East > Iran > 2005
- -06-17-05 Iranians Electing New President (CNN News)
"Surveys show former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani is likely headed toward a runoff against either a reformist candidate or a conservative allied with the country's powerful Shiite hierarchy."
"Seven candidates are vying to succeed President Mohammed Khatami, a reform-minded cleric barred from seeking a third term."
"Although Khatami was elected by landslides in 1997 and 2001, many of his initiatives were blocked by clerical hard-liners who hold vast power under Iran's Islamic system of government."
"With high unemployment and a sense of deep social dissatisfaction -- particularly among young people and women -- even conservative candidates talked the language of democracy and reform during the campaign. 6-05
- -10-08-05 More than 18 Thousand Die from S. Asia Quake (CBS News)
"A huge earthquake triggered landslides, toppled an apartment building and flattened villages of mud-brick homes Saturday, killing more than 18,000 people across a mountainous swath touching Pakistan, India and Afghanistan." 10-05